Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Clinic Day 2: Reading Hearts

Hi everyone! Welcome to the Dominican Republic trip day 4!

Clinic Day 2
Today we travelled not too far to a little suburb of Jarabacoa called Pedregal. We were stationed at a little concert room. There was a drum set on an elevated platform and a few tables. We disinfected everything and it was my turn to work at the vitals station taking blood pressures. 

Some people had really scary high blood pressures like 150/110. I don't know what the doctors did with those people yet. They might have sent them to the hospital or prescribed drugs. I will find that out when I'm at the shadowing station watching the doctors diagnose and prescribe. Can't wait for that! There are 3 native doctors that we work with. One speaks English and the other two minimally. I think it's a good thing that we didn't bring our own doctors here like other organizations do (like The Medical Birgades). The native doctors communicate really easy with the patients, the patients seem really comfterable with their own country's doctors, and these doctors know what ailments are common in their country and the best way to go about treating them.

There were a lot more kids this time than at Manaboa. The room was full and lively with all of them. There was one family that came in that swarmed us. I think they had about 8 relatives. It was really sweet joking with them about how they filled the house. 

These people are so nice. And they smile and say hello to everyone. These people again were incrediby greatful. One mute woman personally bade each of us a fairwell, touching a shoulder, smiling and waving. 

A much older couple came in together at one point. I will never forget them. The woman had an old red oversized blazer on and a black shin-length skirt. I asked both to take a sleeve of their jackets off so I could read their blood pressures. It broke my heart to see how skinny their arms where. Their hands still had dirt on them from working the land. They both gave me really sweet smiles. I'm almost crying from writing this and remembering them. As they walked out he put his hand on her back and they slowly walked out back to their homes, or jobs. 

We have also noticed that many of these people dress up for the clinic, like the elderly couple above. It breaks my heart even more. I wish I could give them close that fit them, and clean sweaters not stained and riddled in holes. 

When we came back we entered intake forms into the computers.

We honestly don't know how lucky we are, living so comfterable in a first world country. Please be thankful for the most important things like health, happiness, clean water, and a safe warm home.

Till next time,
Mika 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Monisiu for this post. You reminded me how I'm supposed to be grateful for everything I have.
    Happy New Year sweete!

    ReplyDelete